Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Apparently spontaneous enabling of Call

strayfish

Apparently spontaneous enabling of Call
« on: March 25, 2018, 09:28:09 am »
I don't need the Call facility and I don't want that intrusion - I have quite enough routes into my eyes and ears without Alexa chipping in - but suddenly one of my devices 'checked' my name and I confirmed, as you would. Next thing I had a phone call to myself from myself initiated by Alexa. I notified Support who say the facility could only have been enabled at my end (which means me) but I'm totally clear that I never have, despite the option keep popping up on my phone. So unless they've disguised that popup or wrapped it in something else, I'm at a loss as to how it's happened. They're going to disable it but in the meantime, I assume all my contacts have gone into their data system so I hope they're removed too. Anyone else had this?

mike27oct

Re: Apparently spontaneous enabling of Call
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 01:59:02 pm »
Yes, it happened just yesterday a Dot hear "something" that triggered it to say "Should I call Sharon and Lloyd?  (Hell no!) was our reply.  They are friends of my wife and they obviously are in her contacts and they got into our Alexa contact list

This got me to explore this inew feature.  I asked Alexa to call my mobile phone by saying "Alexa, call Mike's mobile phone""  Sometin,es it did so, and other times it set every device in the houls ringing complete with green rings and and announcing an incoming call.  NOT ready for prime time.

This calling a phone feature of Alexa is a disaster, and not wanted at all -- that's why we still have a landline and we each have an iPhone.  We prefer not to have Alexa taking over and involving the outside world.

How do we stop this feature?

strayfish

Re: Apparently spontaneous enabling of Call
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 02:24:26 pm »
I wish I knew, Amazon are sticking with the line that I enabled it and I'm sticking with the line that I didn't because that's the truth. They say they've disabled it from their end but that I had to do some things at my end. I began to follow the instructions but a dialogue box came up immediately saying my Call facility had been cancelled and would I like to reconnect. The only options were Yes or Cancel, and Cancel made the dialogue box disappear but got me no further with the protocol I was supposed to follow. I logged out as required, logged back in again also as required, but I've no idea if it's gone. I'm thinking maybe not as there's nothing in settings to enable it. I've told Amazon but I'm glad to have your comment as this clearly isn't just me and neither of us activated it.
Also, like you I'd said nothing to trigger it. The radio was on a music station which does have some speech, but given it had to both use the wake word AND trigger the call using my name, I'm not convinced this was feasible.