Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

How to setup Echo Dot 5 from Factory Reset

Offline TLW

How to setup Echo Dot 5 from Factory Reset
« on: July 31, 2024, 09:53:29 am »
Hi

I've just joined the forum in desperation. Yesterday (30/7/24) I received my very first Alexa device, an Echo Dot 5th Gen and somehow or other managed to fowl up the setting up and I've been struggling ever since. In the end I finished up resetting to factory settings. But how the heck do I proceed from here in getting it set up.

Yesterday I got as far as setting up the voice id and choosing to add my husband at that time as requested. However, when the app told me to get him out to talk to Alexa, I'm afraid that just isn't possible since he is quite severely mobility impaired as well as registered as partially sighted. At this point everything went haywire and I could get no further hence my hope of starting   over again by resetting to factory settings.

So! where do I go from here. At present its just another thing cluttering up my desk for no good reason. I have no idea what to do now. For this reason I would very much appreciate help on what to do, how to proceed possibly in some detail as I'm getting not a single clue from the app. So please, HELP!!!

Tracey

Offline jwlv

Re: How to setup Echo Dot 5 from Factory Reset
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2024, 02:54:54 pm »
I would suggest not setting up voice ID. It is not required and makes more of a hassle.
Just skip that part during setup when it asks you to setup voice ID.

Re: How to setup Echo Dot 5 from Factory Reset
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2024, 07:31:01 pm »
I suggest also (if you have the means) to go to YOUTUBE and search for videos to set up Echo Dot 5th gen. Watching a few videos could be very helpful.

When setting up, even with voice recognition, make sure you and your husband are both nearby, patient, and following the cues of the setup. If you are both present and intend to recognize each voice individually, all you have to do is be quiet until it's your turn or his. Set up in the kitchen or bedroom or wherever, and once set up is complete, you can move the Device to the location it will be permanently. Just make sure you give yourself time to complete the setup, without interruption of any kind... turn off any cell phones to eliminate distractions, etc...
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!