Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Power Failure

Power Failure
« on: August 16, 2024, 11:14:32 am »
After a power failure, even a second, Alexa turns on lights, etc. How can this be stopped? lights don't need to be on while away or asleep. Two of the three units are on a battery backup.

Re: Power Failure
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2024, 05:34:27 pm »

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2024, 02:34:24 am »
After a power failure, even a second, Alexa turns on lights, etc. How can this be stopped? lights don't need to be on while away or asleep. Two of the three units are on a battery backup.

it is hard for alexa to tell the difference between a power failure and flipping the switch.   You did not mention the brand of the bulbs but if they have their own app, you can see if there is something about restoring to power state or something similar.   If not, you are out of luck.    I cannot say the number of times I come home and the house is lit up like a christmas tree after a power outage.     You may be able to set up a routine that if a certain bulb is on, to turn off all the others.   The only other option is to switch from smart bulbs to smart wall switches and smart plugs.   

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2024, 06:05:29 am »
There is 1 smart bulb, 3 plugs, & 6 switches, and none have a restore power option. Guess I'm SOL. I'll look into the routine option.
With the stormy weather we have bee having, there has been power blips. Just enough to turn on lights. Grrrr...

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2024, 12:55:00 pm »
are you saying your plugs and switches are turning on too????    sorry, but as far as I know, that cannot happen.   Power outages would turn off plugs and switches.     

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2024, 01:40:29 pm »
My house uses primarily HUE bulbs and they always show the previous state after power outage or even when switching off power on wall switch intermittently. Flickering power may constitute a different condition that could interrupt a clean system reset on the echo side. Plugs always end up in the previous state. The only issue I found at times with a fan running at full speed after power outage and I use a routine to turn the fan off when I am away.

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2024, 04:06:56 am »
are you saying your plugs and switches are turning on too????    sorry, but as far as I know, that cannot happen.   Power outages would turn off plugs and switches.   
Well, I guess I'm just lucky. These are the switches:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WWYQJFR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0C2VYH5FX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Offline jwlv

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2024, 03:07:02 pm »
What happens after a power failure depends on what the manufacturer programmed. It has nothing to do with Amazon or Alexa.

Light bulbs generally will turn on after a power failure. Smart plugs generally will remain off. That seems to be the safest way to address power failures. If the power goes out, you want lights to turn on as soon as power returns in case you're in the dark. But let's say you have a smart plug that controls a portable heater. If you left the house and the power comes on, it would not be safe for the smart plug to turn on the heater when no one is there.

Light wall switches are supposed to be used with a lamp. But not everybody uses it for that. I happen to use a light switch for an Arcade 1Up video game machine. So what it does after a power failure depends on the manufacturer.

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2024, 08:17:45 am »
Light bulbs generally will turn on after a power failure. That seems to be the safest way to address power failures. If the power goes out, you want lights to turn on as soon as power returns in case you're in the dark.
You're probably correct. I think the manufacturer's idea is flawed though.
  •   If I am in the dark with power, I ask Alexa to turn on the light and she does.
  •   If I am in the dark without power, I can't ask Alexa and if I could she can't turn on the lights.
  •   If the power is restored, I just ask Alexa to turn on the light as i normally would and she will. 
  •   If I am not home and the power is restored, all the lights are on wasting electric until I get home. Could be days.

Guess I'll just deal with it. Thanks