Get CPR certified in 30 minutes at CPR Test Center.
Echo & Alexa Forums

Anniversary in a couple of months

Anniversary in a couple of months
« on: August 31, 2024, 04:34:30 pm »
In November, Alexa will be celebrating their 10th birthday.   What do you think amazon will do?  You think that is when the AI with subscription will be released in addition to other devices?

Re: Anniversary in a couple of months
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2024, 08:51:33 am »
In November, Alexa will be celebrating their 10th birthday.   What do you think amazon will do?  You think that is when the AI with subscription will be released in addition to other devices?

I'm thinking that the Echo products have done more than they ever hoped for as far as marketing, so no regular charges will come about. However, there may be some premium services introduced that may have a price to pay. So far, the amount of rogue changes they make every year with little or no introduction, is insane and sometimes difficult to keep up with, as often the new releases of software have new settings with defaults that are not exactly fun to deal with. Constantly having to shut off things that were not there last month is annoying. If they can figure out how to add things as options you have to choose, instead of opt out of or turn off... that'd be nice.

All in all, I think the echo system will remain at it's current cost. The cost of the devices, There are cheap ones and expensive ones, I fall in the upper middle section in that as far as my purchases on some, but I do have a fair number of Dots around the house I have 3 rooms with multiple dots, one with a dot and spot, one with 3 devices including a 15 inch Show, and a second 15 inch show in the kitchen. I haven't updated my device list on here in forever. I'm down to 4 tablets now, as I gave away the smaller slower ones. Having 4 10 inch ones left... Most of my Dots are with clocks now, only two that are biscuit only.
Crazy how fun they are to own and how annoying they are at the same time. But I can't see why Bezos and friends would kill their own business by charging for a basic (what they offer now) electronic assistant. It pays them back so many ways it's unfathomable. Things may escalate soon and we may see some new level of tech that would make charges valid... but not the current stuff. The biggest "killer apps" for the Echos as far as I can tell, really levels off at music and lights and timers. Of course they do more, but truly, those are the base line functions that are likely used the most. I am not just judging by my uses, but by several other people I've visited with the Echos in their homes.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

Offline jwlv

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2024, 06:43:59 pm »
The biggest "Echo Killers" are the stupid amount of crap they put on the Echo Show home screens every week. I mean it. It literally killed the Echo Show in my case. I hope Amazon has learned something in these 10 years.

No, I don't want Disney trivia on my home screen. I don't want the latest sports scores. I don't want to know what movies are playing nearby. I don't want to know anything about the Oscars. I don't want to try the latest Halloween tricks. I don't want to learn about cooking recipes. And on and on and on...

With nearly a dozen Echo Shows, I had to go to each and every single one and turn these stupid things off one at a time, buried in submenus after submenus. Every week some new stupid thing shows up on the home screen and I have to do it again. I've gotten rid of all my of Echo Shows (nearly a dozen) for that reason and that reason alone. I don't know if Amazon has learned that a Home Screen is what the user wants to have on it. It's not what Amazon wants on it. But I guess they've been sorta successful with that scheme on their Fire Tablets and FireTV sticks. I've also trashed 4 FireTV sticks because of the exact same reason, although I've never liked FireTV sticks because their response time is so damn slow, possibly due to an underpowered processor.

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2024, 07:34:51 am »
I only have 3 visual Echo units aside from tablets (which I ponied up to remove ads) On Echo Spot, which has no room for a bunch of extraneous BS, and 2 Echo Show 15 inch units. The good thing is, there's only two that require editing the crap off my home screens, and usually easy to find, even after they bury it in some submenu. On 2 it's no big deal, except it shouldn't happen. AT. ALL. It's been a while since I've had to chase off any of those unwanted changes for now, so they're good. The widgets on the 15 inch shows are great for mother-in-law and wife to schedule and make shopping lists and use timers the 3 Killer apps for them. For me, it helps me keep them in line...LOL

The Tablets do their own thing, as I use them for 10" echo show devices mostly, but the grandkids can play on them without killing my iPad or phone... big bonus when they are here, since the parents never taught the kids to live without screens for entertainment. Gotta be flexible in that realm. Now hiding the guns ever time they come over... different set of issues... Sometimes I'm glad they let me come visit them instead. I like my normal placements on the boom sticks.
2 Echo Dots 2nd gen
2 echo dots gen 3 (no clock) -2 Echo Dot 3rd gen with Clock
1 echo dot Gen 4 with clock
1 Echo Spot
4 10" Fire Tablets
1 15' Echo show
23 Hue Lights 1 Hue bridge - 1 Amazon Smart plug outlet
One Ring Doorbell Pro
4 cell phones with Alexa app installed!
You should see My Apple Device List!

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2024, 03:18:20 pm »
I have gotten rid of two shows and two firesticks because of the ads.   I had to keep one show for the ring doorbell.   Amazon is really going crazy with their ads.   They even started adding ads to their audible books.   They are starting out with ads at the end of the books and samples just like they did with prime years ago.   I am afraid it will soon become another prime, pay extra to stop the ads.